Back-yard Garden & Yard Design Ideas

It’s almost April and I probably should have been thinking about this much earlier (actually the thinking was being done…just not the action!), but I really want to put in a garden this year.

We bought our house in the Fall of 2006. It was built in 1915 ~ we have a very large front & side yard, but a small back yard. There is a covered patio and an area that was full of rocks. We removed the rocks last summer and I started prepping the dirt for sod. My thinking at the time was for half sod and half raised garden. But then I started thinking (very bad thing for me sometimes)…we have a crap-full of grass out front, maybe I’ll lay pavers and still put in my raised garden. And along the side fence (next to the church) ~ plant berry bushes!

backyard prep
(yes…I know I can rent a tiller ~ but I really need the exercise!)

My garden at the old house looked something like this ~

I don’t want the box so big this time…thinking of at least two long thinner ones, with room to walk in between the two.

These are pretty cool…only not squared ~

So I guess the question is ~ to sod or to pave? What are your thoughts?

This entry was posted in flowers, garden, Life in General and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Back-yard Garden & Yard Design Ideas

1. Belinda says:

If you pave, you won’t have a lot of grass to mow.

I think either one would work; it just depends on what you really want.

What are you going to grow in your gardent?

I love the house! 😀

2. Thankies…I love that old house too. Even if it is cold in the winter.

I’m definitely leaning towards pavers and raised garden….we have a big enough grass area up front and don’t really need to use all that extra water.

Tomatos, potatos, beans, peas, carrots, onions, garlic, radishes, lettuce of some sort or two, PUMPKINS, squash of some sort…

3. I like the pavers and raised garden idea. Of course, I’m always for putting in a garden. 😉

4. Hey…you have berry bushes! How many do I need to put in if I want at least a jar of jam?! LOL! I have a yard full of birds so I may just be planting the berries for their eating pleasure.

I hate getting my hands dirty so I wouldn’t be a good advice person on gardening. 🙂

I don’t remember you saying you lived next to a church.

Try getting some bigger tools next time. You can’t dig up dirt with scissors. LOL!!

I have a bunch of patio furniture no one uses. I’ll send it to you.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. I LOVE YOUR HOUSE! 😀

I love raised beds. And so does my back. 😉 I also like how tidy they look, and while weeds will grow everywhere, at least they’re not ground-creeping in across the border from the grassy plot surrounding your veggies.

We’re thinking of putting some raised beds in alongside the garage where it gets full sun all day. DH is rather fussy about his tomatoes (I admit I am too) and it’s so hard to find really good ones anymore. So tomatoes and… ? I dunno. Sun-tolerant herbs, probably.

P.S. I’ve seen the pumpkins you grow. They’re frightening. You don’t have a green thumb; you have a round orange nub LOL!

8. ROFL! I do grow a mean pumpkin, eh?!

I hear you on the tomatos! Nothing like a vine ripened tomato! We’ll have to swap pics when we’re all finished!

Donna ~ ship that patio furniture out! 🙂

9. Quilty says:

Yay to raised gardens. Most definitely. And make the walls that contain them wide enough to sit on to have your coffee as you’re pulling out the little weeds. Yep, they will be little because with raised gardens you wont put off pulling them until they are as big as your pumpkins. 🙂

10. Icky…no coffee! 😀 Tea…yes! I like the looks of that last picture too.

I’m going to take measurements and go to Lowe’s this weekend.

11. Jo-Anne says:

I think you should sod !!

You have so much potential there !!

It will be more relaxing and welcoming than if you pave !!

12. sylvia garcia says:

I’d lean towards pavers, and leaving some space for moss, that tiny clover like leaf or something else…I am trying to get ideas myself to turn my somewhat rubn down back yard int oa place that is water efficient, inviting to creatures, has a serene feel and is aesthetically pleasing. I know it is possible.