Speedy Dill Pickle Recipe ~ Canning for Dummies

****HEY ALL! COME BACK AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOUR PICKLES TURNED OUT! 🙂 ****

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had a request a few posts back about the pickle recipe I used ~ thought I’d post it here.

It came from Canning & Preserving for Dummies (hee! It’s a great book!)…page 102 ~ Speedy Dill Pickes.

SPEEDY DILL PICKLES ~
This recipe makes an old-fashioned dill pickle in almost the blink of an eye.

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Processing time: Quarts, 15 minutes; Pints, 10 minutes
Yield: 3 quarts or 6 pints

4 pounds pickling cucumbers (I used regular cucumbers out of my garden, not pickling ones)
6 TBSP kosher or pickling salt
3 cups distilled white vinegar
3 cups water
1 TBSP whole mixed pickling spices
18 black peppercorns
3 TBSP dill seed (I did not have this on-hand so used fresh dill instead)
Fresh dill sprigs (optional)
I added 2 (one whole clove) halved peeled garlic cloves to each jar

1. Wash cucumbers, leave them whole if they’re smaller than 4 inches in diameter. For larger cucs, cut them in slices or lengthwise, in halves or quarters.

2. Prepare your canning jars and two-piece caps (lids and screw bands) according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Keep jars and lids hot.

3. Combine the salt, water, and vinegar in a 3 to 4 quart saucepan. Bring the liquid to a boil over hight heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve the salt. Keep the liquid hot.

4. Snuggly pack the cucumbers into your prepared jars. To each quart jar, add 1 tsp of pickling spices, 6 peppercorns, and 1 TBSP of dill seed. To each pint jar, add 1/2 tsp of pickling spices, 3 peppercorns, and 1-1/2 tsp dill seed. If you’re using fresh dill, add a sprig or two to each jar in between the inside edge of the jar and the cucumbers.

5. Ladle the hot liquid into your filled jars, leaving headspace of 1/2 inch in the quart jars and 1/4 inch in the pint jars. Completely submerge the cucumbers in the liquid. If they protrude from the jar, adjust them until you have the proper headspace. Release any air bubbles. Add more liquid to theh jar if needed.

6. Wipe jar rims; seal the jars with the two-peice caps, hand-tightening the bands. Process your filled jars in the water bath – for quart jars, 15 minutes; for pint jars, 10 minutes; both from the point of boiling. *** PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR HIGH ALTITUDE! *** Remove jars with lifter. Place them on a clean kitchen or paper towel away from drafts. After the jars cool completely, test the seals. If you find jars that haven’t sealed, refrigerate and use them within 2 months.

~~~~ HIGH-ALTITUDE PROCESSING TIMES! ~~~~
Altitude in Feet ~ Increase in your Processing Time
1,001-3,000 ~ 5 minutes
3,001-6,000 ~ 10 minutes
6,001-8,000 ~ 15 minutes
8,001-10,000 ~ 20 minutes

Since I live in Sparks, NV I had to add 10 more minutes to my hot bath for a total of 20 minutes.

My husband loves these pickles…I only have 1 jar left of the 6. Better make more of them!

This entry was posted in food, garden, recipes and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Speedy Dill Pickle Recipe ~ Canning for Dummies

1. Duchess says:

Sounds awesome! The recipe I tried this year added sugar. Not tasty. I’ll give these a shot next time.

2. Pingback: Finding Different Canning Recipes for Cucumbers « Sleepy Cat Hollow

3. Cindy says:

How long do you wait before they are pickles?

4. I’m gonna try making these tomorrow. I’ll let ya know how they turn out.

5. Jill says:

Going to the garden to pick my Cucumbers now. Will be making these in about an hour. Let you know how we like them.

6. Valerie B. says:

Making them as we speak…..I’ll let you know how they turn out.!

7. Eva says:

Looks nice and seems simple enough, but what draws me to this recipe is how much the husband likes these pickles. Thanks for this recipe. The other topics on this page look equally interesting. I will mark as fav so I can return. 🙂

8. g davis says:

ok going to give it a shot always do a bread and butter or refrig. which are awesome any one wants recepie glad to share is a three day process /so many cucumbers this yesr want to try dill so fixin to head in and do this quick recp. most definatley let you no thanks

9. n moss says:

Are these pickles crispy, soft,or soggy.

10. Pingback: Thursday’s Rambles ~ 04 August 2011 « Sleepy Cat Hollow

11. Star Decker says:

i JUST TRIED 9 QUARTS OF THE RECIPE, WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THEY TURNED OUT. I KNOW THEY SMELL SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!

12. Elizabeth says:

Hi!

Your dill pickles and strawberry jam are AMAZING!! Thanks so much for posting your recipes!

13. Patty K says:

On my third batch—My kids and husband eat them faster than I can make them. We not only use pickling cucumbers, but regular cucumbers, and a french squash that grows HUGE! We use chunks and slices and also we add lots of dill- 1 bunch per no more than 12 jars and about 4-6 fresh crushed garlics in each jar— super yummy –thanks

14. Pasttime Farm says:

We made these year before last and everyone LOVED them! Couldn’t find the recipe last year due to computer problems… so am excited to have found it again…writing it down in my recipe book this time! I too added more garlic…but that’s just personal preference.

15. Kelly says:

How long will these keep? I was wondering if I could save some for the winter.

16. linda says:

I made these pickles I love them they taste great but they are kinda on the spicy side not to spicy but I love them anyway my family loves them also but was wondering if it could be the garlic that makes them spicy I’d like to have just dill pickles am I doing something wrong please help for this was my first time making pickles and I’d like to make more thanks.

17. linda says:

Hi it turned out my other jars were fine i guess i put to much spice in my one jar. I love this recipe I’ll be making more of them quite often thanks alot

18. Becky says:

I just made 10 pints of these! I can’t wait to try them. After reading these comments I should have put more than one clove of garlic in them because I like mine more garlicky… dang it . I added extra dill though and dill seed. Thanks for the recipe!!