Weekend of Jam & Jelly Making

I had the pleasure of a weekend by myself! Husband went down to Carson City to a friends house to watch the extreme fight on PPV so I had from Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon for just ME!

I decided to make some jams…had half a flat of blueberries from the farmer’s market to use up. Made Blueberry-Lemon jam, Blueberry Jam, Strawberry Daiquiri Jam (had a whole flat of frozen strawberries in the outside freezer), and then saw I had the makings for Jalapeno Pepper jelly, so I made it too. I’m starting my Christmas presents early. 🙂

Lucy kept me company while Leo slept upstairs most of the day.

I love the jalapeno jelly ~ very pretty (tasty too, I already started eating that one)…I used green jalapenos and an orange bell pepper. Recipe was simple, peppers, cider vinegar, sugar, and pectin.

Just used the water bath for the jams…

And read the whole instruction manual for my new canner ~ a 16 quart Presto Pressure Canner.

Can’t wait to try it out! I plan on canning stews/soups, veggies, salsas, and meats when they go on sale.

This entry was posted in canning, food, Life in General and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Weekend of Jam & Jelly Making

I wish I lived closer for Christmas gifts! That Jalapeno Jelly looks GOOOOOOOOOOD :)!

\IiiI

OMGosh lady, if you did that for me, well, let’s just say something sparkly would be finding it’s way to you!!

Jalapeno, jalapeno, lalalalala!

\IiiI

3. 🙂 Will send you one in the mail tomorrow.

4. duchessdreams says:

Hey There. Those look beutiful! And supper tasty. 🙂 Sorry it’s been so long. Crazy busy at work and all. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the audit went really well for you.

🙂

5. emvandee says:

Ooh! That pepper jelly is lovely. I’ve just started trying to figure this canning stuff out, and I’m glad I found your post! I’m certainly going to try that.

What the heck is Jalapeno Pepper Jelly?

7. Jalapeno Jelly…jelly with peppers! 🙂 This one is more sweet than spicy. I think next time I’ll add more peppers than what they said.

Very good on homemade bread. Also over cream cheese with crackers. I would imagine pretty tasty over meat too.

I found a recipe for it on allrecipes.com. So I may have to try that. Just need to get a canner thingy.

• If’n you make the Jalapeno Jelly…I’d suggest putting in more peppers than they ask for. My recipe only asked for 3/4 cup of chopped, deribbed & seeded, jalapenos. I’m going to bump it up to 1 cup next time…OR…put the seeds into a piece of cheesecloth and put them into the sugar/vinegar mixture and pull it out when I put the liquid pectin in.

I found my wash canner for $3 at a yard sale. But Walmart/Target/grocery stores are carrying them at the moment.

9. Your pictures of the pepper jelly are awesome! I could use some lessons.