Jane Market Bag

Over on the Posy Gets Cozy blog I found a pattern for Jane Market Bag.

I’ve been looking for a pattern to make a market tote to take to the grocery store as the handles of the paper bags that I’ve been reusing are starting to fall off. I went through the free patterns and didn’t see anything that caught my eye. I went through the pattern books at the fabric store and about died when I saw the $16 prices! HOLY COW! I did not know that is how much a pattern costs these days! Then I found the Jane Market Bag that was designed by Alicia Paulson of Posie: rosy little things. Paid $6 with paypal and was sent the pattern immediatly online.

Very clear easy to read directions with lots of pictures. Took me 2 hours to make one…that included the putzing around trying to figure out what fabric to use, read the directions, and cleaning my Janome (had sewed on my sister’s quilt earlier in the day).

Here’s the finished bag ~ it’s 8x11x13 (8″ deep x 11″ wide x 13″ height). Fabric line is Back Porch Bouquet by Bate & Taylor for Maywood Studio. I did not put on the front pocket, but seriously flirted with the idea of putting a pocket on the inside lining. Maybe next time. I used 100% cotton fabric for the main bag, and I’m pretty sure I used linen for the lining. Didn’t plan on that but while going through my pile of cream scraps I pulled the one that had enough to make the lining.

I plan on making a lot more for myself and some for gifts.

This entry was posted in Crafts, Sewing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Jane Market Bag

That looks great. I want to make one.

How many yards?

3. Hmmmm….

I know that I could have made two bags out of the yardage I had on hand and that was 1 yard of the sides and 1/2 yard of the middle fabric. The lining used (2) 20×18 pieces of fabric.

Fantastic! Love those fabrics, and the size looks perfect!

5. Ohhh…I love the fabric too! I forgot to bring in the maker…I got that fabric the other day while looking for something else.

Beautiful! Wish I could do something like that!

\IiiI

I see “my” leaves in your quilt. I don’t remember you making that quilt.

8. I’ll look through my stash…I may have more of it that I’ll send to you.

9. Karen says:

I love your new grocery tote. Very nice. You did a great job…and I think I spy a very pretty quilt underneath. 🙂

Karen

10. Duchess says:

Beutiful tote! Looks like it’ll be strong too:)

That would be great. Don’t forget to check when you get home. Before you eat. Before you play with Lucy. LOL!! Thanks!!

Thank you!! Thank you!!