Grapes ~ Grape Juice ~ Soon to be Grape Jelly

My sister brought me two big bags of green grapes from her back yard yesterday…and the day before I picked one grocery bag full of reddish-purple grapes from my neighbor’s back yard (yes, he knows I was there…he’s expecting some jelly when he gets back!).

Last night I washed them off and picked them from their clusters put them into my big stainless steel pot, put in enough water to almost cover them.

grapes3

Bring it to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes, slightly covered. I smash them while they’re boiling, then put the lid on during the simmering part.

Then off to the strainer/sieve they go to drip into a bowl for about 1-2 hours.

grapes1

grapes4

I didn’t have the time to go from this part to making the jelly, so I put the juice into quart jars and then into the refrigerator.

I got 3 quarts of juice from the red grapes and 4 quarts of juice from the green grapes. I’ll strain the juice one more time before making jelly…will put some cheesecloth in the strainer then pour the quart jars into it.

Tonight…JELLY MAKING TIME!

This entry was posted in canning, Family, garden, Nevada and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Grapes ~ Grape Juice ~ Soon to be Grape Jelly

I wanna be you when I grow up!

2. Jen says:

Awesome! I love making Jams and whatnot. I havent made any Jam since I was a kid, but it was always so mcuh fun! I do love canning tho. Hope your jelly turns out well.

3. simplysharon says:

I was doing the exact same thing last week. My grape jam turned out great but my jelly didn’t set up too well. Grape syrup is good too. I went ahead and canned the extra juice I had. 4 Quarts.

I’ll try again for jelly later.

Well!! Are you sending me some or not!!

5. Elizabeth says:

Hi,

How many cups of water approximately did you use to cover the grapes? Thanks Liz

• Liz, you use just enough to cover the grapes. Put your grapes in a large stainless steel pot/pan, crush them, then add enough boiling water to cover. Bring to boil over med-hi heat, stirring now and again. Reduce heat, cover, and boil gently for about 30 minutes. Transfer the whole kit-n-kaboodle to a dampened jelly bag (I used a few layers of cheesecloth in a sieve over a big bowl) and let drip for at least 2 hours without disturbing it.

6. June says:

Grape Juice looks so good! How many cups of grapes did you use?

• For Concord Grapes you can use 4 cups of juice, 7 cups of sugar, 1 pouch of liquid pectin. Another is 3.75 cups of unsweetened grape juice, 6.5 cups of sugar, 2 pouches of liquid pectin.

• sorry…misread your question. I’m not sure! I just put in what I had. I know I used a plastic grocery bag full of the concord ones. My sister had brought me two gallon size bags full of green ones.

7. June says:

Oh and how much cupd of water too! Thanks for your help, first time making Jelly! I love your blog!!!