Point Cabrillo Light Station State Historic Park

On our trip to Fort Bragg, California over the Thanksgiving weekend, I had three goals…Point Cabrillo Lighthouse, Point Arena Lighthouse, and Glass Beach.

I’m glad I got to see Point Cabrillo Light Station as California has decided to close it down in 2012 due to their budget crisis. 😦

It’s about a 1600 meter walk from the parking lot down to the lighthouse…very nice walk, not hard at all.

The lighthouse was built (starting in 1908) to guide small schooners that carried lumber down to San Francisco after the 1906 earthquake. The earthquake damaged the Point Arena lighthouse leaving no lighthouses between Cape Mendocino and Bodega Bay.

It houses a British built 3rd Order Frensel Lens by Chance Brothers and was first lit on June 10, 1909. It is one of only twelve in the United States and has 90 glass prism pieces…it has a 10-second flash that can be seen up to 15 miles out.

The lighthouse sits on the second of five coastal terraces…

Overlooking a very large amount of sea palms!

Looking north towards the 1850 FROLIC shipwreck site.

This entry was posted in Northern California, ocean, Photography and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Point Cabrillo Light Station State Historic Park

1. April says:

Gorgeous pictures! I love stormy seas! The lighthouse is so pretty.

The Key West lighthouse also has a Fresnel lens, I think third order.

2. Ginny says:

As a long time board member of the Point Cabrillo Lightkeepers Assoc. the non-profit managers of the Light Station, I can promise you we are doing all we can to ensure that Point Cabrillo will stay open and accessible to the public. Thank you for a great, and very accurate posting, and for the amazing pictures.

Ginny Rorby

3. Ginny Rorby says:

Check out this great blog about Point Cabrillo Light Station

4. Pam in IL says:

Beautiful pics! The lighthouse is so nice looking. It would be a shame if it closed. Thanks for sharing.

5. localbonnie says:

Reblogged this on localbonnie.

6. chillcleal says:

Wow that lighthouse is amazing, nice photos 🙂