The pinwheel beast turned out scrumptiously delish!
(sorry, but it seems whenever I want to take a picture of my quilts…my quilt holder is in bed…big sigh)
I’m very happy I listened to everyone and ripped out the disastrous first attempt at free-motion quilting on a large-scale! After a wash and tumble in the dryer, most of the tell-tale signs of that awful quilting disappeared! 🙂 It has the most wonderful comforting snuggle look to it now. I hope they like it at our local Veteran’s Guest House! I thank you all who kept after me.
Remember my quilting woes over this stupid PINWHEEL QUILT? A free-motion quilting project gone awry? And that I ripped out the WHOLE quilting that I did on it? Then folded it up and hid it?
I quilted it yesterday…diagonally. Attached the binding. It’s ready for me to do some hand stitching. Hopefully after I wash it, I won’t be able to see the first quilting needle holes.
Truly…I’m sick, not just because of my pinwheel quilt, no…with a very sore throat, snot in the nose, snot running down my throat, ear ache, and a cough in my chest. 😦
Before bed last night I pulled out my ‘Orange’ (Cluck.Cluck.Sew’s pattern) quilt pieces and started in on piecing the blocks.
It makes me happy working with orange…mainly because I was thinking that in two more months it will be OPENING DAY for the San Francisco Giants!
Didn’t sleep all that well, starting to be sick and all. Was up at 1:35 am with a coughing fit so I went into the other room and took down the pinwheel quilt.
It’s actually not as hard as I thought it would be…seems the tension was a tad off! LOL! The bobbin thread was just laying there on the backside.
I have a feeling from some of the comments in the previous post that they didn’t believe me how bad of a job I did on FMQ with the Singer 301. It’s bad…LOL! Puckered. Pleated. Umm….just out right bad.
The whole top is quilted so…it would take a quilting bee just to help me take the stitching out. 🙂 So for now, it’s going to be put up until I can face it again.
UPDATE: 2 Feb 2011 – You all can check out the comment section for the reasons…but I’m packing this one up and not even going to bind it. Moving onto the next quilt. Lessons learnt: 1. I can’t FMQ on a Singer 301 (maybe some can, but I can’t!). 2. 100% spray basting did not work for me. I think I will use it again, but also use safety pins about every 12″ or so. 3. Stop while you are ahead and stop making it worse! 4. Ya’ll are invited over for some tequila…I can make it into a margarita if you so choose!
I do think the backside looks pretty good though!
Well, me thinks I made a mistake in the way I’m quilting the Pinwheels. It’s not horrible, but not good, either. Big sigh.
The Singer 301 is an awesome machine, but it’s not what I should be using for FMQ. I can do a nice wavy curve, which is what I should have stuck to and not tried to do tighter curves. It was actually going fine until I tried to tighten the curves. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK! And it doesn’t help that I don’t have a big enough space to spread out.
So…am going to try to take a deep breath and muddle on. Just keep reminding myself that it won’t look awful once it’s washed and dried….I don’t wash my material before hand, I like the old “pucker” look to the quilts after the wash/dry cycle.
UPDATE: 2 Feb 2011 – You all can check out the comment section for the reasons…but I’m packing this one up and not even going to bind it. Moving onto the next quilt. Lessons learnt: 1. I can’t FMQ on a Singer 301 (maybe some can, but I can’t!). 2. 100% spray basting did not work for me. I think I will use it again, but also use safety pins about every 12″ or so. 3. Stop while you are ahead and stop making it worse! 🙂 4. Ya’ll are invited over for some tequila…I can make it into a margarita if you so choose! 😀
Ok…I’ve never spray basted my quilts before. Pinned the crap out of them is what I did! 🙂 But I’ve had 3 friends tell me they’d rather use spray basting. So I stopped off at Windy Moon Quilts, my local quilt shop, and found Sullivan’s Quilt Basting Spray. While holding it in my hand, Sue came up and I asked her if she’s ever used this. “It’s the only stuff I use! We don’t even allow pins in our classes!” Ok then! I’ll try it.
Not hard at all…just read the directions and followed them. Only I taped down the backing to the table, laid down the batting, put the top on and then pulled back the top and sprayed 12″ at a time. Waited 3-4 minutes, then smoothed the top from the center out. Kept doing that until the whole top was tacked on. Then flipped the whole thing over and sprayed the backing on the same way.
I have King Tut’s 40/3 machine quilting thread ready in the Singer 301…it’s all set up for Free Motion Quilting.
OMGosh…It’s been a really bad month here at work, super busy, neverending, lots of WTF?!, lots of needy people. 🙂 Good thing there is Sierra Nevada IPA at home in the frig. Actually…after hearing what April & Chris are having for dinner tonight, a margarita sorta sounds really good at the moment….hmmmmmm.
Pinwheel Quilt Update:
~ Pinwheel Check List: 121 pinwheels made and sewn into a quilt top. 2.5″ border sewn around pinwheels. Purple binding made and ready. Backing sewn to right size. Work table in basement cleared to commence sandwiching!
Just an update on the Connecting Threads Pinwheel quilt that my friend, April and I are making in a ‘quilt-along’.
I have column one sewn to two and column three sewn to four…tonight I’ll sew those together and work my way to the right. 🙂
I think I am finished with collecting orange fabric for THIS QUILT , from Cluck.Cluck.Sew.~ but one never knows for sure. These are the last ones I collected: